Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:30:46 -0400
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@unixdaemons.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: multiple threads for interrupts

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 02:19:23PM -0400, Robert Watson wrote:
> Unfortunately, I'm probably not really qualified to talk much about the
> swi stuff.  But I can say I'd really like to have multiple netisr threads
> once the lock pushdown on IPv4 is more done :-).

  As I hinted, I think that this is a reasonable idea.  However, we may
 end up observing that, for certain cases, particularly those such as
 network device hardware interrupts (which essentially just queue the
 packet and schedule the software interrupt thread), it is better to
 wait until the handler is done running and merely re-service it because
 the second thread is likely to contend with the first anyway, and
 because that contention may lead to ping-ponging between CPU caches.
  We may end up seeing that for netisr type stuff, it is better to have
 multiple threads running in parallel.  We may see, also, for example,
 that it is better to have a maximum of N/m threads running in parallel
 for an N cpu system (where m < N).  I would like to keep the thread
 pool code around, and possibly see it committed soon, but not have it
 take effect in all cases just yet, particularly not in the hardware
 interrupt cases, at least not right now.

> Robert N M Watson             FreeBSD Core Team, TrustedBSD Projects
> robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories

Regards,
--
Bosko Milekic