Date:      Wed, 7 May 1997 14:55:13 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Backwards compatibiliy for isa_driver

So far in my modularisation work, I have managed to keep a high level of
binary compatibility (and a moderate level of source compatibility) with
previous releases. The structures isa_device and isa_driver and all
low-level functions in isa.c are unchanged.  In particular my binary
release of OSS still works :-).

Unfortunately the situation with isa_driver is getting pretty ugly and I
*really* want to add a detach function to it.  If I add a detach function
to it, I'm going to add a bunch of other stuff to simplify some of the
rest of the code.  My question is, how much will break if I change
isa_driver?  I think OSS will still work from looking at its symbol table
since it calls register_intr directly instead of going through
config_isadev.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com