Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 2002 23:46:41 +0000
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        Perforce Change Reviews <perforce@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PERFORCE change 21417 for review

On Saturday 23 November 2002 11:00 pm, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 10:50:38PM +0000, Doug Rabson wrote:
> > On Saturday 23 November 2002 8:17 pm, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> > > http://perforce.freebsd.org/chv.cgi?CH=3D21417
> > >
> > > Change 21417 by marcel@marcel_nfs on 2002/11/23 12:17:09
> > >
> > > =09Raw, untested implementation of EPC syscalls.
> >
> > This seems to be missing the bit after calling syscall() which
> > checks for a full exception_restore, e.g. after an execve and also
> > the check for calling ast(), e.g. after a signal.
>
> Yes.
>
> [snip]
>
> > One other thing after re-familiarising myself with exception.s. You
> > have added unwind records to all the kernel IVT entry points. This
> > is quite unhelpful when trying to debug kernel faults. The previous
> > version which manually unwound past the exception to the code which
> > faulted was extremely useful and saved me a lot of time in
> > debugging. Can we have it back please :-).
>
> If we want to use unwinding to get to the register state of the
> process, we can never unwind over the exception code. It's probably
> much easier to restart unwinding after it stopped at the exception
> entry point. This would also hold for signal handlers. Would a DDB
> command to resume unwinding work?

I think it would be ok to just put back the code in db_stack_trace_cmd()=20
which spots kernel entry points and resets the unwind state based on=20
the contents of the appropriate stack frame. That would give complete=20
stack traces in DDB without disturbing the real unwind records.

--=20
Doug Rabson=09=09=09=09Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
=09=09=09=09=09Phone: +44 20 8348 6160