Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 20:34:48 +0200
From:      Christophe Prévotaux <c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MPLS

oh oh , I did not say I would and I am quite incapable of implementing
MPLS, but I don't understand what triggered your anger at me ?

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001 09:13:54 -0700
Ping Pan <pingpan@juniper.net> wrote:

> "Christophe Prévotaux" wrote:
> >
> > Of course one can argue that their software and their algorithms may also be better
> > implemented than a linux or freebsd solution, but that is not sure.
>
> OK. So why don't you stop speculating, implement it yourself and
> benchmark it against Junos? :-)

Why are you so vindicative ? Don't you think such a thing as a FreeBSD MPLS implementation
could ever exists ? I consider it would be a good thing and I see no reason why in the end
it would not be equal or better than JunOS ? Can you explain why you think it is not possible ?
I mean apart from the fact that you work at Juniper and you are trying to defend their products
which in itself is understandable.

At least I(we) could maybe learn something then .

I know that a FreeBSD based MPLS solution can not rival with a Juniper Hardware
and that is not the point, but one could at least use any PCI based interface card
with it (even if it does not do 160 Gbps it would still be useful)

> > Right now almost no one has interest in MPLS (except telcos and large operator or ISP)
> > but I am confident that this will change.
> >

> Will that change before or after we see your MPLS implementation? :-)

unfortunately , I think you will never see it in this lifetime because
as I said earlier I don't the technical abilities to make such a implementation
and I won't even try to. But that does not mean I can't speak about it
after all we all live in free countries and all have the right to free speech
no ?

> - Ping

Christophe Prevotaux                  Email: c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr
HEXANET SARL                            URL: http://www.hexanet.fr/
Z.A Farman Sud                          Tel: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 05
9 rue Roland Coffignot               Direct: +33 (0)3 26 79 08 02
BP415                                   Fax: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 06
51689 Reims Cedex 2
FRANCE