Date:      Sun, 02 Sep 2001 02:52:43 +0000
From:      "D. P. Kreil" <kreild@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cannot switch back to X11 from text console in kern.securelevel>0

Hi,

I have been installing from the x11/XFree86-4 port (XFree-4.1.0_6) on a
4.3-RELEASE system.

I run xdm through /etc/ttys as advised in the handbook:
ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on  secure
and have
:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt9
in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers

Booting the system with kern.securelevel<=0 is fine, xdm is started and I
can log in using X11. I can also issue a
sysctl -w kern.securelevel=1
without a problem, run new X clients, and switch to the virtual text
consoles.
As soon as I wish to switch back from a text console to X11 (Alt-F9),
however, the screen flickers and I get the message
init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv8, sleeping 30 secs

I get the same effect when I set
kern_securelevel="1"
kern_securelevel_enable="YES"
in rc.conf.

Could you make a suggestion as to what I am doing wrong, and how I could run
in securelevel 1 or higher and still use X11?

With many thanks for your help,
David.