Date:      06 Apr 1999 19:44:48 -0400
From:      Allan Strand <stranda@cofc.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Which users can "see" /dev/pass3

I have recently installed sane-1.00 from the ports collection on my
3.1-stable box.  I have an UMAX scanner attached to an adaptec 2940
(no U no W).  The scanner is device 3 on the scsi bus and is assigned
to /dev/pass3.

root sees the scanner just fine on this device.  However, no other
user can.  I've tried to set the permissions to group read, write,
execute and create a group called "scanner."  I've changed the group
of /dev/pass3 to "scanner".  I've then placed the users that I would
like to access the scanner in this group.  After a reboot, no luck
with these users recognizing the scanner.  Finally, in exasperation, I
changed the permissions to 777.  Still no luck.

Any ideas out there, I don't want to scan as root....

Cheers,
Allan E. Strand          stranda@cofc.edu,  http://linum.cofc.edu
Department of Biology    Phone:      (843) 953-8085
College of Charleston    Fax:        (843) 953-5453
Charleston, SC 29424