Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 17:00:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.dialix.com.au>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: misc/4576: mfs does not mount requested size from /etc/fstab

The following reply was made to PR misc/4576; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.dialix.com.au>
To: ajhar@noao.edu
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 07:58:39 +0800

 ajhar@noao.edu wrote:
 > >Number:         4576
 > >Category:       misc
 > >Synopsis:       mfs does not mount requested size from /etc/fstab
 [..]
 > >How-To-Repeat:
 > If /etc/fstab contains
 >   /dev/sd0s1b		/tmp		mfs	rw,-s=131072	0	0
 > a 'df' yields
 >   Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
 >   mfs:28          31404        4    28888     0%    /tmp
 >
 > However, it DOES work to mount a filesystem manually with
 >    mount -t mfs -o -s=131072 /dev/sd1s1b /mnt
 > This yields
 >    Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
 >    mfs:288         63567        1    58481     0%    /mnt
 > although this is not really an acceptable work-around for /tmp.

 This is a ``bug'' in the default /etc/login.conf settings.  The resource
 limits for 'daemon' are what /etc/rc (and hence the mfs mount at boot) are
 run with. 'daemon' has a datasize limit of 32MB, and mount_mfs goes to a
 fair bit of trouble to fit within it's hard data limit.  I have been
 thinking of having mount_mfs reset it's hard data limit to infinity if run
 by root (such as at boot time).  This will get a fssize of what was asked
 for in spite of the /etc/login.conf settings.  Another fix would be to put
 some more suitable settings for daemon in login.conf.

 Cheers,
 -Peter