Date:      Tue, 26 Apr 2016 05:10:16 +0530
From:      Manish Jain <bourne.identity@hotmail.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to access CUPS printer from wine applications ?
References:  <mailman.103.1461067202.17825.freebsd-questions@freebsd.org> <BLU436-SMTP56E943BBDF81CC87548C5FF66C0@phx.gbl> <20160420112203.3244f4ea@kalimero.tijl.coosemans.org> <BLU437-SMTP97DF5EAC3CE8DB4DEC9E37F6600@phx.gbl> <20160423143300.40d7c478@kalimero.tijl.coosemans.org> <BLU436-SMTP74BDFD41A1F8629812233FF6600@phx.gbl> <20160423190136.e92c98e3.freebsd@edvax.de> <BLU436-SMTP1696355C40791D8BB0167C3F6610@phx.gbl> <20160424195059.05115996.freebsd@edvax.de> <BLU437-SMTP683853E8CF44B042040D96F6620@phx.gbl> <20160425113525.81dc074f.freebsd@edvax.de> <BLU436-SMTP21365B1E0BD3026DBD8CDB5F6620@phx.gbl> <20160426004805.f9ee6b3c.freebsd@edvax.de>

On 04/26/16 04:18, Polytropon wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 15:48:39 +0530, Manish Jain wrote:
>>> Not tested, just an idea:
>>>
>>> If Wine has networking functionality, you could enable the printer
>>> in CUPS for sharing on the "virtual network" and then access it
>>> as a network printer from within the application that wants to
>>> print. The default output should be PS (Postscript), as this is
>>> the easiest (and standard) format to feed into printer queues.
>>> Make sure to restrict the printer access locally.
>>>
>>> If this fails, you could use the "Print to file" functionality
>>> and save the file to a specific directory that's accessible from
>>> the application running under Wine. Use "winecfg" to assign a
>>> "drive letter" to that directory, so it's easier to write files
>>> there (for example P: for "printer"). Then have a shell script
>>> check for new files in that directory and feed them to lpr, then
>>> delete it. As I said, when this is PS data, it shouldn't be
>>> problematic.
>>>
>>> Wine's access to USB, and then using the "Windows" software for
>>> printing, is probably not possible to achieve.
>>>
>>> Also keep in mind Wine probably doesn't have a full printing
>>> subsystem and sufficient driver support. Doing so from a VM
>>> (with a "Windows" installed in it) is surely easier, but also
>>> more "voluminous".
>>>
>>> Follow-up question:
>>>
>>> Why don't you install OpenOffice / LibreOffice / AbiWord and use
>>> your documents from there? Is there a reason to use a more than
>>> 15 years old office application? Do you have a specific need to
>>> make it that complicated? :-)
>>>

>> Printing from wine is not particularly important : it would just have
>> been a nice add-on functionality that would have eliminated the
>> occasional need to boot into my Windows XP installation.
> I hope it's an "offline installation". :-)
>

>> Although I shall install AbiWord as you have suggested, there is a
>> freelance writing project that I am involved in, and those guys want MS
>> .doc strictly, with a lot of formatting rules that are most easily
>> accomplished under MS Office. As for the version of Word (2000) that I
>> strongly prefer - I find the appearance of new Office applications
>> pretty obnoxious, mostly owing to the Ribbon that the new versions of
>> Office use.
> In this case, OpenOffice or LibreOffice will probably a good way to
> avoid using a "Windows XP" only for word processing. Both programs
> can import and export various DOC formats quite well, and the support
> for a 15+ years old format should be stable and reliable. Furthermore,
> the GUI that includes hierarchical menues with logical structure (a
> concept which users have learned to use over decades) makes it easy
> to work with the program.
>
> I had to work in a multi-OS environment for some times, and few users
> still used "Office 2000" products, while everyone else has moved on
> to use OpenOffice. Interoperability of documents was not a problem,
> [...]

I just installed AbiWord. And I think it is good enough for my needs.
Thanks.

Manish Jain