Date:      Mon, 29 May 2006 10:05:12 -0700
From:      "pete wright" <nomadlogic@gmail.com>
To:        "Palle Girgensohn" <girgen@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-database@freebsd.org, postgresql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject:   Re: Suggestion for a very fast postgresql machine?

On 5/29/06, Palle Girgensohn <girgen@freebsd.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Do you have any suggestions for building a really fast machine with the
> sole purpose of running postgresql for a multi user application? The
> database currently has a 11 GB footprint on the disk.
>
> I'm thinking in terms of at least four CPU:s, 12 GB RAM. Hardware is most=
ly
> a matter of money, I guess, and disks are probably the bottleneck, right?
> We are currently a FreeBSD only shop, we have very good knowledge about
> that system, and no experience with Linux. Still, is FreeBSD 6.1 a good
> choice, or will a Linux distribution outperform for 4+ SMP? I won't have
> much time to experiment, unfortunately, but I'd love some pointers or tip=
s.

it really depends on they type of load you will be putting Postgres
through.  Alot of read only query's, transactions...how many
connections at a time hitting it.  etc.  you should really figure out
the answers to these questions before spending money on hardware.

generally speaking, disk I/O will be an important bottleneck to
consider.  If at all possible I would use SCSI or Fiber storage
devices in a RAID'd configuration (preferably from a hardware RAID
controller with ample cache and a BBU).

seriously though, let us know the load profile you expect on this DB
then maybe we can give you useful info...

-p

--=20
~~o0OO0o~~
Pete Wright