Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 2002 04:22:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gerhard Schmidt <estartu@augusta.de>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/44875: PYTHON_VERSION statement in make.conf adds a python dependency to all ports

>Number:         44875
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       PYTHON_VERSION statement in make.conf adds a python dependency to all ports
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I running Zope on my freebsd Box. Zope needs Python 2.1. In the ZopePort
the is correctly set using the PYTHON_VERSION variable. Some packages
like zope-zmysqlda need python packages to be installed. This Packages
donīt have the python version set to 2.1. So they install python 2.2 and
get installed unter python 2.2. This causes trouble with zope.

I have tried to set the PYTHON_VERSION variable in /etc/make.conf. It worked fine for the python extentions. But every Port I installed since than have python2.1 as a dependency.

>How-To-Repeat:
Insert PYTHON_VERSION= python2.1 in /etc/make.conf and install a port.
>Fix:
none