Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 2002 16:46:40 -0400
From:      Aron Roberts <aron@slam.cc>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   5.0-DP1 + Thinkpad 600 + Xircom Realport 10/100 (RBE-100) = no network joy (CardBUS PCMCIA Issues)

OK rundown:

Machine:	Thinkpad 600/266
OS: FreeBSD 5.0-DP1 (needed the iso because network no worky worky :) )
PCCard ethernet Adapter :  Xircom Cardbus Realport 10/100  Model#
RBE-100

Repeatable behavior:
		pccard controller stuff seems to be very happy finding pccard0 as "PC
Card bus (classic). It complains about many devices not supporting
interrupt routing but seems to find just about everything ok. (given
the weak thinkpad bios config I am not sure I could change bios
behavior anyway)

pccard then appears to sense the card in slot 1 and proceeds to tell me
that it cannot find card in database "null" "null". I assume this is
because the card has some sort of malformed Tuple which prevents it
from being detected.

Question 1: Is this actually the case? and if not is there a way to
properly read the Tuple?

if not

Question 2: How would I go about finding out the proper incantation for
"pccardc enable" 		   to smack the sucker until it works?
			I'm not even sure what driver to use but xe and dc seem to be leading
			candidates. Though only ed gives me any response from "enable"
			that response is to "try another unit" which is so far a mystery to
me.

if no answer there:

Question 3: What of all kinds of cardbus ethernet adapters on god's
green earth should I
		   buy so I don't have to think about this any more :)

I really would prefer to figure this out so Q3 is really just a
desperation measure. :)

thanks in advance to any who reply. I have been searching the lists
with no luck up to this point.

p.s.  I have verified the card does work in windows  (though the same
settings in FreeBSD seem not to work) and manages to hang linux 2.4
every time.