Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2001 14:08:38 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Ed Wynn" <edwynn42@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: D-Link problem

> I'm setting up a system (200MHz) with 4.2-RELEASE, and the network card
that
> I have to go in it is a D-Link DFE-538TX/R PCI card, based on the RealTek
> 8139 chipset.

[ snip ]

> pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x1186, dev=0x1300) at 11.0 irq 11
>
> I know the unknown card here is the network card, since the vendor ID
> matches the one shown by the BIOS as "network controller" during system
> boot.  There are no other devices conflicting with IRQ 10 or 11.

[ snip ]

> I added the appropriate
> defines and extended the array of cards defined in if_rlreg.h, updated
> if_rl.c to match, and rebuilt the kernel.  This now recognizes the card
> during the boot sequence, but then crashes like so:

[ snip ]

Well, you're on the right track.  More than likely the D-Link card has some
flags that aren't being properly set during the driver init.

In the meantime, it would be best if you built a debug kernel and enabled
crashdumps.  This would give you (and us) more details on where (and why)
this thing is crashing.

Section 23 of the FreeBSD Handbook
(http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kerneldebug.html) has details of how to do
this.  (Be sure to set dumpdev to your swap slice, and make sure that
sizeof(swap) > sizeof(RAM)).

--
Matt Emmerton