Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 1997 09:18:34 -0800
From:      "David E. Tweten" <tweten@ns.frihet.com>
To:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PGP Key Size Limitation in Ports

Initially quoting me, narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee said:
>> Why does Ports build domestic PGP 2.6.2 to use the less capable rsaref,
>> when the more capable modified version is shipped with the other source
>> from MIT?

>Because the only RSA encryption you can use inside US comes from RSA.
>It is *illegal*  for you to use any other lib than the one you get
>from RSA.

Not true.  MIT gained RSADSI permission to use RSAREF _with modifications_ in
its release of PGP.  Nobody else has that permission, and therefore can't
modify rsaref for larger keys.  It makes no sense to me to strip out the
non-patent-infringing modified rsaref from MIT PGP 2.6.2 and substitute the
less capable unmodified form.

My question stands.
--
David E. Tweten           |  2047-bit PGP fingerprint:  |  tweten@frihet.com