Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 08:16:04 -0600
From:      FRED_LONG@udlp.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Failure of FreeBSD to Recognize Serial Ports

 I installed FreeBSD choosing the Gnome w/Enlightenment configuration. When
trying to use the PPP Facility listed under the Menu tab Internet, in all cases
I was unable to access the serial ports. During the setup of a new account using
the PPP Facility, it gives the option of choosing /dev/modem, /dev/ttyS0,
/dev/ttyS1, /dev/ttyS2, or /dev/ttyS3. For home programming I have been using
Linux(SuSE, Debian) for sometime and typically have used /dev/ttyS3(COM 4)
without any problems whatsoever. For whatever reason(s) regardless of which
ports I select it responds with either "[xxxx]unrecognized option - /dev/modem"
or "[xxxx]unrecognized option - ttySx". I tried re-enabling the serial port #2
on the motherboard in the BIOS, without effect. I also tried issuing the command
- "ln -s /dev/ttyS3 /dev/cuaa3", similarly without effect. I also issued the
command "ifconfig -a" and it listed "ppp0" as being an active port. Similarly I
went back and tested ttyS3(COM 4), demonstrating that it a working serial port.

 I also went about setting up PPP using chat scripts(i.e. using ppp.conf and
dial.conf). In all cases, regardless of what I chose as a port(i.e. cuaa1 -
cuaa3 or ttyS1 - ttyS3), it still would not recognize the port. I have went and
thoroughly studied the PPP How-to, PPP Primer, Pedantic PPP etc., and the PPP
man pages all to no avail. I am not sure if I am missing something very simple
or what.

 I use this platform primarily for engineering/software development and must
have access to the WWW in order to do my work. I have already lost a couple of
days fighting this problem, and am not sure how to proceed at this point. This
must be a simple problem. Thank you in advance for your patience and time to
help me resolve this problem.

Fred