Date:      Mon, 2 Feb 1998 18:32:30 -0500
From:      dlr <dlr@insane.asylum.org>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel compile error

On Tue, Feb 03, 1998 at 08:54:51AM +1300, Jonathan Chen wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Feb 1998, dlr wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > I Keep getting errors when trying to compile a new kernel.
> ..
> > cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 6
> > *** Error code 1
>
> The last time this started happening to me, it got traced to bad memory
> chips.

I put a new cpu in (intel P166) and am getting the same errors. It is now
intermittant as i have gotten it to compile a few times. I get no errors on
bootup that there is a bad simm. i have 64meg edo(2x32). It is going to be the
next thing i change out tonight.

This is the new error that i got today

OSFS -DNFS -DFFS -DINET -DKERNEL  ../../dev/vx/if_vx.c
cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 6
*** Error code 1

It is also not wanting to compile things out of the ports section, which also
leads me to believe it must be a hardware problem. I've reinstalled Freebsd 4
times this weekend (2x with 2.2.5 and 2x with 2.2.2). Initially i went with
2.2.5 but i'm getting the same thing with all four installs....

thanks for the tip on the simms....i'll report back when i change them out. I
tried switching them in the sockets and reseating to no avail.

dave racette