Date:      Sun, 16 Apr 2000 23:21:30 +0100
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: OpenSSL and IDEA.

> > (According to Applied Cryptography, IDEA is free for non-comercial
> > use. As the source code is being distributed via cvs anyway, I
> > can't see a reason why it isn't being included in any of the
> > branches.)
>
> I was under the impression it was restricted (patented) in the US and in
> some parts of europe - not having a clearer idea about where it was safe
> to use, I thought it better not to include it at all. If you can point me
> to something which explains where it's restricted and not, and under what
> terms, I'd be most appreciative :)

AFAIK it is patented, but they alow use it in a non commercial
setting.  Applied Cryptography says:

	IDEA is patented in Europe and the United States [1012,1013].
	The patent is held by Ascom-Tech AG. No license fee is
	required for non-commercial use. Commercial users interested
	in licensing the algorithm should contach Ascom Systec AG,
	Dept CMVV, Gewerbepark, CH-5506, M\"agenwill, Switzerlans;
	+41 64 56 83; Fax: +41 64 56 59 90; idea@ascom.ch.

The references are to International Patent PCT/CH91/00117, 28 Nov
1991 and US Patent #5,214,703, 25 May 1993. A quick web search
turned up http://www.massconfusion.com/ssh/ssh_patent_issues.html
which contains a letter from Ascom which states their position.
It looks like there should be no problem including the code
and compiling it conditionally (it cites PGP as a valid piece of
free usage, for example).

	David.