Date:      Sun, 18 May 2008 17:40:48 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@telenix.org>
Cc:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB HID parser

--h31gzZEtNLTqOjlF

On 2008-May-17 14:47:21 -0400, Chuck Robey <chuckr@telenix.org> wrote:
>OK, let me cover all the suggestions.  First, the name, fine, I renamed it=
>uhidParser, and the current version is 0.2 (will hit 1.0 if I ever get any
>feedback, else it's stay where it is).

OK.  How do you drive it?  What do you need (other than Python) to use
it?  There's an internal reference to krepdump.ko but I can't quickly
find that.

>Lastly, the port.  I have, for a great long time, really felt very wrong, =
that
>items that needed no adaptation (or 'porting') received ports.

The other thing that the ports infrastructure gives me is a record of
what version(s) of what software I have installed and what other software
requires or is required by that software.  This means that I can go to
a random port, type "make install" and have the system automagically
install any dependencies.

>I can't stop you from porting it, I know that, but I wish you wouldn't.  I=
t's
>just not port material.

Your tarball doesn't tell me what other tools I need to install to make
the contents of your tarball do something.  Hopefully, a port would.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--h31gzZEtNLTqOjlF

--h31gzZEtNLTqOjlF--