Date:      Tue, 5 Feb 2008 15:02:10 +0200
From:      Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        sos@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Load_Cycle_Count and ATA APM

--CIvnmBjnCkOH19pP

I noted that when idle, my laptop HDD increases the Load_Cycle_Count
(193) approx. each ten seconds, as reported by smartctl. Have recently
read about the Ubuntu and APM mode for hard drives, I searched for the
tool to tune APM (that has functionality similar to linux' hdparm -B).

It seems that FreeBSD does not have a tool ? Am I wrong ? In case I did
not make a mistake, below is the patch that allows to manage APM state
of the hard drive using atacontrol.

Any comments or objections against committing this ?
http://people.freebsd.org/~kib/misc/ata_setcap.1.patch

--CIvnmBjnCkOH19pP

--CIvnmBjnCkOH19pP--