Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 95 18:33:09 EDT
From:      yzalkow@birch.ee.vt.edu (Yuval Zalkow)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Best way to update from 2.0R to 2.0.5R

Hello,

	Can someone tell me the best way to upgrade my system from 2.0R to
2.0.5R?  I have a pretty standard 2.0R install.  All of my user and locally
made programs are in seperate directories.  I want NOT to reformat both
hard drives and start from scratch installing.  I tried to download the
entire source tree 2.0.5R and compile it to install the new version, but
that didn't work -- I ran into many compile problems with things like constants
and headers not found.  So far, I haven't been having much success.  Any good
insights into this problem would be helpful.  I don't have a fast connection
to the net, only a 14.4Kbps modem SLIP connection through school.  I have a
bunch of other machines on a local network, which can do NFS, but its a
painfully slow NFS -- through OS/2.  Last time I tried it under Linux served
NFS, it didn't too well either.  I haven't had much luck with the install
program in 2.0.  So basically, what is the best route to take in order to
upgrade the system from 2.0R to 2.0.5R?
	Secondly, after I get the system up to 2.0.5R, will I have to recompile
all my utilties I made under 2.0R?
	I guess lastly, I have problems with using the lnc driver for networks.
I have to network cards, one is a very generic NE2000 clone which runs under
the ed driver just fine.  The problem is I cannot get the lnc driver to work
with the ed driver, I will soon need both to work.  I get a "heartbeat failure"
error from my Boca Network card which uses the Lance chipset.  I'm pretty
sure that its not a configuration problem, and I would be willing to go into
more depth, but I don't think everybody needs to hear about it.  If I could
be pointed in the right direction, that would be great.

thanks,
--
Chris Inacio
cinacio@vt.edu                  | Computer Engineering     | Nifty quote here!