Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 1996 23:34:49 +1100 (EST)
From:      Carey Nairn <cp_nairn@cc.utas.edu.au>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@iquest.com>
Cc:        dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu, questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware Compatibility..

On Mon, 29 Jan 1996, David Kelly wrote:

> Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu> said
> >
> >On Fri, 26 Jan 1996, Mark Jamison wrote:
> >
> >> Hi I was wondering if FreeBSD would run on my system..
> >>
> >> My system is configured as follows:
> >>
> >>       486DX-2 50MHz
> >>       8 megs RAM
> >>       EIDE Controller Card
> >>       EIDE  Mitsumi 4X CD-ROM
> >>       EIDE Conner 850MB Hard Drive
> >>       Soundblaster 16
> >>       Gravis Ultrasound ACE
> >>       Cirrus SVGA VESA Card (1meg VRAM)
> >
> >Only sticky point may be your CDROM, since ATAPI isn't well supported
> >(slave on the primary disk only).  Will eventually work though :)
>
> I think you have it backwards. The ATAPI CDROM has to be the master. And
> mine works on the 2nd IDE interface. Haven't stressed it to see if it
> breaks.

I have had problems using my ATAPI CDROM as the primary device on the
second controller as well.  My current configuration is wd0 on controller
0 with the CDROM as the slave on controller 0.  The second hard disk is
on controller 1.  I would be interested in knowing how to get the CDROM
to work as the primary device on the secondary controller.

thanks
Carey

Carey Nairn                     ! email : Carey.Nairn@its.utas.edu.au
Networks and Communications     ! phone : (002) 20 7419
Information Technology Services ! fax   : (002) 20 7898
University of Tasmania.         !