Date:      Tue, 10 Sep 1996 23:37:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@durham>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, John Perry <perry@alpha.jpunix.com>
Subject:   Re: pty's and slattach

On Tue, 10 Sep 1996, David Kelly wrote:

>         attach asy ttypf - slip bsd 2048 1024 38400
>
> And you'd like to catch that slip connection (on the FreeBSD side) with:
>
>         slattach -l -L /dev/ptypf
>
> or similar. Of course you should realize by now it works somewhere else but
> not in FreeBSD. What we get in /var/log/messages is:
>
>         Sep 10 19:53:08 nexgen slattach[11472]: ioctl(TIOCSCTTY): Operation
>         not permitted

You're getting this because something has the port open as a controlling
terminal. This is not a bug. I ran into this when I had two copies
of slattach running.

Try ps -ax | grep slattach

For every process group there must be a "controlling terminal", unless
it's a daemon process, runnin in the background.

If one process has the tty device as a controlling terminal, the second
one trying to open that tty device fails the TIOCSCTTY ioctl call.

> No telling what will break next when we get that fixed.  :-)

It's not broken.

> Studying /usr/src/sys/kern/tty_pty.c I find no mention of TIOCSCTTY. No
> wonder its not permitted. Studying /usr1/src/sbin/slattach/slattach.c we
> find:

Look in /usr/include/sys/ioctl.h .

> David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@tomcat1.tbe.com (wk), dkelly@hiwaay.net (hm)
> The human mind ordinarily operates at only ten percent of its
> capacity -- the rest is overhead for the operating system.

73
-Jim Durham, W2XO