Date:      Tue, 16 May 2006 11:46:15 +0400
From:      Vladimir Grebenschikov <vova@fbsd.ru>
To:        Yuri Pankov <yuri.pankov@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux emulation file descriptor leakage -current?

=F7 =D0=CE, 15/05/2006 =D7 23:04 +0400, Yuri Pankov =D0=C9=DB=C5=D4:
> On Mon, 2006-05-15 at 22:37 +0400, Vladimir Grebenschikov wrote:
> > =F7 =D0=CE, 15/05/2006 =D7 09:50 -0700, Bakul Shah =D0=C9=DB=C5=D4:
> > > This is what happens when I start skype (NOTE: this is *not*
> > > limited to skype -- I see the same problem with a thunderbird
> > > linux binary but linux-firefox & linux-opera work fine).
> >=20
> > same problem with skype here (fresh 7.0-CURRENT + fresh gnome)
> > I was forced to increase kern.maxfiles to make my system alive.
>=20
> I think your issue is described in /usr/ports/devel/gamin/pkg-message,
> which is used by GNOME.

No, It is not like this case.
I almost do not use nautilus. And problem appears only after latest
system upgrade (only some weeks of CURRENT evolution). I've already have
running gamin from 2.14 long enough before incident.

Looks like problem really related to Linux skype (I've also noticed huge
amount of descriptors eaten by this beast)
=20
> > > $ skype &
> > > $ sudo sh -c " while sleep 3; do lsof |grep skype|wc; done"
> > >     4126   38134  495635
> > >     4196   38959  499830
> > >     4226   39229  502965
> > >     4266   39589  507145
> > >     4296   39859  510280
> > >     4336   40219  514460
> > >     4366   40489  517595
> > >     4406   40849  521775
> > >     4436   41119  524910
> > >     4476   41479  529090
> > >     4516   41839  533270
> > >     4546   42109  536405
> > >     4586   42469  540585
> > > ^C
> > >=20
> > > Is this a known problem or am I in an alternate universe?
> > >=20
> > > I am running -current as of yesterday, with a freshly
> > > installed linux_base-8 and skype.  But this has been
> > > happening for atleast a couple weeks and may be more.
> > >=20
> > > Looking at the lsof output, about a third opens are for a
> > > directory, two thirds are files.  It seems to open over a
> > > hundred directories (all of them multiple times)!  It opens
> > > over 400 files (all multiple times).  Many of these files
> > > have nothing to do with skype!
> > >=20
> > > Doing a truss shows a lot of linux_ioctl() and gettimeofday()
> > > on one skype_bin process and linux_times() and linux_time()
> > > on another process.  Doung ktrace on these processes shows
> > > something totally different (all sorts of syscalls).
> > >=20
> > > Thanks for any help or hints on how to debug this....
> > >=20
> > > -- bakul
>=20
> Yuri