Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 23:17:02 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Swindells <rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk>
To:        jhermes@infoglobe.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any need for dedicated PCI lnc driver?

>Well, as most of you no doubt know, the lnc ethernet driver is broken
>for PCNet/PCI chips again (it gives up when its memory is allocated
>above 16Mb, due to ISA limits in the driver).

Yes. It still works fine in 2.2.8 though :-)

>Would it be a good idea to strip a PCI-only lnc driver out of
>the ISA source, so that the ISA limits don't apply?

Could be.

Another reason for doing this would be to add in if_media support at
the same time, the ISA parts don't need this since they won't do 100Mb
or full duplex. Creating a PCI specific version would remove the need
for lots of conditional code.

The if_media issue is important since the chips don't auto negotiate
properly.

>I know this chip is not the best, but I inherited several Dual Pentium
>100 workstations with integrated motherboard devices, and I need to
>keep them going since they are very stable and reliable SMP machines
>(Intergraph TD-30s).

It isn't bad, much better than NE2000 type cards.

The size and cost of the chip compared to the Intel ones makes it a
good choice for integrating into a motherboard so it isn't going to
disappear.

>If no one wants to fix the ISA/PCI version, I would like to help
>extract a PCI-only version.

I'll work on either.

I work for a company that makes a system with an integrated Am79C971.

One of the arguments that I use for why we should use FreeBSD on this
system instead of Windows98 is "if a device driver doesn't work we can
fix it", I guess I ought to make good on this claim.

I was waiting to get the 3.1 CDs to take a look at this anyway but they
have arrived now.

Robert Swindells