Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 1995 22:36:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        steve@simon.chi.il.us (Steven E. Piette)
Cc:        fenner@parc.xerox.com, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting tcpdump to work with the BPF

> > From: "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
> > Subject: Re: Getting tcpdump to work with the BPF
> > To: fenner@parc.xerox.com (Bill Fenner)
> > Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 21:12:50 -0700 (PDT)
> > Cc: freebsd-current@freebsd.org

> > > Although I know nothing about the EtherExpress in particular, I know what
> > > BPF needs; these patches *should* do the trick.
> > >

> > Except they fail to put the card into promiscous mode :-(.
> >
> > Some one else has been passed work passed to me that had some rather serious
> > lock up bugs and is working on this.  I hope they pick this bit up here,
> > as this looks rather clean as far as the tap off.
> >
> > Putting in EEXP16 into and out of promiscous mode is no simple thing to
> > do though, and I am reasonably sure that is where the bugs in the other
> > patches sent to me are at.
> >

> Does anyone have the docs for this card? I've got on to hack and test with
> but no docs to start hacking from.

You need an Intel Communications components data book.  There is nothing
card specific on how you put the 82586 into and out of promiscous mode.

The person working on BPF has the data book, he has my support avaliable
to him.  I have 4 sets of patches here now from people to do the minimal
BPF, just let this sit and rot for a few weeks and you will see something
commited.