Date:      Sat, 8 Sep 2012 22:15:04 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Jeffrey Bouquet <jeffreybouquet@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Jamie Paul Griffin <jamie@osx.kode5.net>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADS-UP] Announcing the end of port CVS

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 4:08 PM, Jeffrey Bouquet
<jeffreybouquet@yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]

The language was highly pejorative, so it felt troll like.
>   I searched quite a bit upon this announcement to find csup > svn equivalent guides and found little applying to ports...
> hopefully they will appear prior to the changeover?, something
> easily learned?

Good point. I found the handbook information adequate, but not as easy
to follow as it might be.
Guess I'll write one. It's really quite easy and much faster then csup.

1. Install devel/subversion
2. Select US east coast or US west as your server. Pick at random or
pick the one closer to you.
3. Rename (mv) ports/distfiles and ports/packages out of /usr/ports
4. rm -r /usr/ports/*
5. svn co http://svn0.us-west.freebsd.org/ports/head /usr/ports
   OR
   svn co http://svn0.us-east.freebsd.org/ports/head /usr/ports
   Ports will now be checked out of the repository and written to /usr/ports
6. make -f /usr/ports/Makefile fetchindex
7. Move ports/distfiles and ports/packages back into /usr/ports. Since
these directories are not in the repository, they will be ignored by
updates.
7. Update ports as needed with 'svn up /usr/ports' and 'make -f
/usr/ports/Makefile fetchindex'
   This step does the equivalent of csup.
8. Use the Subversion manual from http://svnbook.red-bean.com/ to
learn how to other things with svn. Of particular interest is 'svn
info /usr/ports and setting up the .subversion file to do things like
ignore some directories.
If you add private ports to /usr/ports, they will be ignored by svn as
they don't exist in the repository.

If anyone has suggestions on other things that belong in this list,
please let me know.

> (disregarding portsnap for the moment, and I apologize...)
> (the .htm I saved from the web searches (svn) appear too complex and
> irrelevant to this use case to be of use here...)
> As a minor aside, /devel/apr1/ is a dependency of subversion at
> least on this machine probably...

Yes, svn can pull in several dependencies.  I'll admit that I don't
know why apr1 is needed.

> All the many FreeBSD texts I've read and used, maybe one of them
> has a relevant chapter? And/or maybe complete SVN instructions
> should be added to the UPDATING file as well as a section on
> ports in the subversion manpage(s).

Have you read the FreeBSD handbook? It does not have the step-by-step
instructions I listed, but I figured out how to use svn after reading
that information and about 30 minutes of experimentation. Also, these
same instructions can be use (with trivial modification) to update
FreeBSD sources.

> All taken as constructive discussion hopefully.  I re-edited this
> email to make it shorter and less critical...

Yes, this mail expressed reasonable concerns without sounding
confrontational. Hopefully my answers help.