Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 1995 19:28:52 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Paul Pries <paul@pp2.smc.south.telia.se>
Subject:   SNAP-950412: One good, one bad...

Well, now we've done it again! That is managed to install FreeBSD. :-)

The first machine, a noname P-66 went smooth as ever, the only minor
screwup was ncftp, but it was an easy thing to circumvent.
The install program was just beautiful!

Now to the bad one. I tried to install on a AST Bravo (P-90) with both
IDE and SCSI. No go on either drivetype!
SCSI controller is a Bt-946C, which is detected properly. Everything
seems fine with the install until it is time to reboot from the harddisk
when it fails miserably with some error that 'cant be reported'.
Sorry I can't be more specific about the error, but if more info is
needed I can pop down to work and try booting it...
DOS boots fine off the damned thing, just BSD fails.

I tried using a bt545 also, but that one didn't like the 3c509. Sigh.

The error with the IDE is the usual 'don't like 32 heads'.
This is well documented, I suppose. At least I've heard about it and know
what to do about it...

I really would like to get this box going, as my future net-access
depends on it... :-)

Thanks in advance for any hints,

	Paul.

--
Paul Pries	email:				Phone:
Telia AB	paul@smc.south.telia.se		+46 40 445108 	(home)

Any opinions that might have been expressed in the above message
are mine. If you like them, you can have them too.