Date:      Sat, 30 Aug 1997 22:23:03 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IRQ problem (was Re: IRQ timing)

>From The Desk Of Luigi Rizzo :
> > We need a little bit more of information:
> > o OS version
> > o is the card using auto dma?
> > o dma channels being used for the sound card
> > o name of the app
> > o buffer size used in in the application
>
> i guess you also need the blocksize -- the size of each DMA transfers
> -- and not only the total amount of buffers.

True but bear in mind that the system has plenty of memory:
---
Copyright (c) 1992-1997 FreeBSD Inc.
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
        The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE #0: Sat Aug 30 21:51:37 EDT 1997
    root@phoenix.its.rpi.edu:/usr/src/sys/compile/PHOENIX
CPU: Pentium (132.96-MHz 586-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x52c  Stepping=12
  Features=0x1bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8>
real memory  = 67108864 (65536K bytes)
avail memory = 62734336 (61264K bytes)

----

I would hope that the OSS driver has the heuristics to allocate
sufficient memory for the buffers.

At any rate, if David downloads:
ftp://rah.star-gate.com/pub/mmap_test.c
and just prints the buffer size and the number of buffers that
the sound driver has we can eliminate the possibility that
the sound driver did not allocate sufficient buffers

	Cheers,
	Amancio