Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 1995 11:46:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        noni4737@mstr.hgc.edu (walter noniewicz)
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kernel page fault while doing tar to /dev/rft0

> I added a Conner floppy tape drive to a machine running 2.0R.  When a tried
> to "tar cvf /dev/rft0" the machine choked:

man ft:
     ft is used primarily as a filter for tape i/o.  For example, to save and
     compress the /usr directory to tape:

	   % tar cvzf - /usr | ft "/usr save"

     To extract /usr from tape:

	   % ft | tar xvzf -

> Fatal tray 12: page fault while in kernel mode
> fault virtual address = 0x4
> fault code = supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pointer = 0x8:0xf0191906
> code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xffff, type 0x1b
>              = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> current process = 100 (tar)
> interrupt mask =
> panic: page fault

Yes, it is a derefernced null some place in the Driver, some one
is suppose to be working on fixing this but I have not heard from
them in 2 months :-(.

You are not suppose to open /dev/ft directly, allow ft to do that for
you!!!