Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 1995 09:40:21 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
Cc:        "Frank ten Wolde" <franky@pinewood.nl>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Order of rules in ip_fw chain

> > I think we disagree here, or our needs differ greatly :-) I still think
> > it's better for safety that *if* my Bastion host is compromised (someone
> > evil becomes root) they still cannot flush the fw chain.
>
> Agreed.  My statement was made to say that I think we need to have more
> security levels than the current version, so we can still have a secure
> system and *still* allow modifications of the ipfw chain.  It doesn't
> have to be an all or nothing affair.

I think having one global secure-level, and one level for each "feature"
to override:

This could for instance be done like this:

	sysctl -w kern.ipfw.securelevel=1
		(if it's zero, the kern.securelevel decides.)
	sysctl -w kern.securelevel=2

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.