Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 19:27:08 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
To:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Timeline for development

On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 08:22:37PM -0700, Wes Peters wrote:
> Keep in mind that building the FreeBSD userland can happen using NetBSD
> as a base in parallel with much of the kernel development.  Though the
> kernel is the "hard" part, there is a LOT of userland, and I heartily
> recommend turning loose those who are interested in that part of the
> port ASAP.

Agreed.  I managed to build about 1/4 of the FreeBSD userland under
NetBSD/arm32.  I have the directions & src patches to follow I could
clean up and post.

The libc is the major stumbling block to gettting more of userland to
compile. [ie, I was using NetBSD's libc, rather than getting our libc to
build]

> No, but I can tell you your best bet is to pick a home for the cross tools
> and dump the entire set of FreeBSD include files in that home somewhere.

Note that I am working on a platform neutral
src/contrib/gcc/config/freebsd.h that is usable by i386, Alpha, arm32,
PPC, sparc, etc...  BUT all the buildworld/release breakage have had me
spending man days chashing that rather than finishing this work.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com)