Date:      Fri, 01 Mar 2002 12:05:00 -0500
From:      "Richard E. Hawkins" <dochawk@psu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   using dhcp on a laptop that normally has its own name & IP

My laptop is normally plugged in here at my desk, with a well-defined
and permanent name & IP.  I also have a second kernel, /etc/rc.conf,
and /etc/hosts for when I need to use ppp at home.

The library at our mane campus has laptop sockets which use DHCP.

I tried to use this, with very limited success.  I brought down fxp0
with ifconfig, and then used /stand/sysinstall to do a dhcp network
configuration.  It successfuly pick up an IP address, but I couldn't do
anything more than ping (so it found the nameservers, too).   Any
attempt to use telnet, the web, ftp, or hit a mailserver just plain
failed.

What else do I need to know to do this?

thanks

hawk

--
Richard E. Hawkins, Asst. Prof. of Economics    /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700      \ /   against HTML mail