Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2017 19:28:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      DTD <doug@safeport.com>
To:        Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to repair a package

On Wed, 6 Sep 2017, Mike Clarke wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Sep 2017 13:48:23 -0400 (EDT)
> DTD <doug@safeport.com> wrote:
>
>> not finding an option in "pkg delete" that
>> would delete only libXScrnSaver and not the 40 other related packages
>
> You should be able to do that with pkg delete -f libXScrnSaver
>
> From the man page for pkg-delete
>
> -f, --force
>                Forces packages to be removed despite leaving unresolved
>                dependencies.
>
> --
> Mike Clarke

Thanks Mike. I thought I tried that and it said about 40 other packages were
going to be deleted. I will try this on a test system. This was very likely user
stupidity. I verified the disk is [seemingly] okay and that the problem was only
the missing module. It was in libX11 not libXScrnSaver, I mis-read the 'pkg
info'. I picked the module out of the distfile and all is good. Pretty sure I
was fumble-fingered in typing/cutting-pasting or some such.

Doug

_____
Douglas Denault
http://www.safeport.com