Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2012 11:49:17 +0000 (UTC)
From:      jb <jb1234abcd@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: exclude device from bus probe?

Göran Löwkrantz <goran.lowkrantz <at> ismobile.com> writes:

> Thanks for the correction but getting the hint to work didn't help at all.
> That removed both interfaces and thus all network connectivity. And it
> still didn't work with the IPMI as the remote console still disappeared
> when the probing started. The serial port worked up until beasty.

Well, there is something you could try (I have not tested it myself and
I am not sure if this does not apply to post-boot device discovery only):

devd(8), devd.conf(5), DEVFS.RULES(5)
See examples:
$ cat /etc/devd.conf
# An entry like this might be in a different file, but is included here
# as an example of how to override things.  Normally 'ed50' would match
# the above attach/detach stuff, but the value of 100 makes it
# hard wired to 1.2.3.4.
attach 100 {
      device-name "ed50";
      action "ifconfig $device-name inet 1.2.3.4 netmask 0xffff0000";
};
detach 100 {
      device-name "ed50";
};

So, just thinking loudly:
  attach 100 {
        device-name "em0";
        action "??? some action e.g. ifconfig $device-name down :-) ???";
  };
etc.

jb