Date:      Thu, 25 Aug 2011 20:29:37 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Vadim Goncharov <vadim_nuclight@mail.ru>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD problems and preliminary ways to solve

Hi Xin LI!

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 11:20:42 -0700; Xin LI wrote about 'Re: FreeBSD problems and preliminary ways to solve':

>>> One thing I thought I'd bring up (since I haven't seen it
>>> mentioned yet) is Debian GNU/kFreeBSD. I haven't tried it,
>>> so I'm talking through my hat a bunch, but...
>>
>>> It seems to me that FreeBSD should do what it can to support
>>> this effort. Why? Well, I suspect a lot of why organizations
>>
>> No. FreeBSD has limited resources. We need to:
>>
>> a) fix our own problems
>> b) develop our own unique features (see my message to Robert Watson)
>>
>> And supporting Debian will mean wasting resources which could be spent
>> to these. This will effectively kill FreeBSD as a separate entity if
>> our problems will stay unfixed and get worse due to this.
>>
>> Leave this work to Debian: they already have a wide community and many
>> resources. Any Linux distro has more resources than BSD because they just
>> only pack someone's software, and we have to also actually *develop* those
>> software (most of all, kernel and libc).
> I consider Debian GNU/kFreeBSD as a platform where we can see what the
> actual {performance,functionality} difference between our code and GNU
> ones, which is valuable.  Supporting their effort might be time
> consuming and maybe not our priority, but it's good not to make their
> work harder because more importantly, their existence gives us more
> exposure and more eyes on our codebase as well.

I agree that it's good not to make their work harder (you've pointed valid
reasons), but I do not agree that their support is a priority to FreeBSD
("should do what it can"). That's auxiliary, not primary.

--
WBR, Vadim Goncharov. ICQ#166852181       mailto:vadim_nuclight@mail.ru
[Anti-Greenpeace][Sober FreeBSD zealot][http://nuclight.livejournal.com]