Date:      Sun, 12 Apr 1998 00:32:35 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Ed <ebs@wwa.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   installation 2.2.5

Hi-

Xfree86 FAQ mentioned that I should mail questions to this email address,
I hope it has been directed to the right place.

I am attempting to install FreeBSD 2.2.5 on a clean ide hard drive, and
have noticed that I cannot get any X server installed!  During the
installation, either full install or X-User distribution, the directory
/usr/X11R6 does not get created at all, which is concerning.  I have
repartitioned and reloaded ALL distributions, and X refuses to load.

I have tried to manually install XF86332 (from the CD installation disk),
and the postinst.sh script fails to run completely, failing at ldconfig
line.

I have also tried to copy all the *tgz's locally, and run
gzip -dc * | tar -xvf -
and this unpacks all the files.  When running XF86Setup, it will complete
the configuration (of an S3 86C775 card), but it fails to run xinit and
create a link to the server, x --> XF86_S3

I have tried to upgrade the XF86332 server, but this did not help the
above situation.

Is it possible that I have a bad install CD since it is refusing to load
the X1R6 at all?

The system is a home built Intel P200Mhz 64MB RAM, S3 Trio 64V2 PCI,
Fujitsu 4.3GB ide cdrom, with a generic Shamrock 15" monitor.

The FreeBSD was purchased from Walnut Creek mail order.  It is 2.2.5
November 1997 release.

Thank you for your help.  This is the first time I am trying to get
support for FreeBSD, and I am not sure where to direct this question.
Thank you!

Sincerely Yours,

Ed Sexton
ebs@wwa.com