Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 2003 08:40:32 +0100 (MET)
From:      Peter Cornelius <pcc@gmx.net>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UP ans SMP on the same kernel

> How much work would it take to make a kernel that could run
> on both SMP and UP machines (and use the extra CPUs?)

I have been able to run -STABLE (last cvsup somewhere a week or two ago)
with SMP enabled for more than half a year now, I
think, on a UP machine since I noted that Sandra on Windows told me it was
an MP 1.4-compliant MB (did I ever run windows
since, I can't remember...). So I don't know if that is a significant
waypoint. I run the box diskless making installworlds and such a
bit tricky at times which is why I don't upgrade too often, though (and we
also just moved making things even trickier ;-)).

It really is a cheapo all-in-there-complete box from the non-food heap of a
food chain supermarket which I did not even get a
proper main board manual for but I have been made to believe it's a
MicroStar? MS-6399 (???) or something like that (I'd have to
check when I'm back home if that is of interest). However, the board
manufacturer only point to the distributor and they only point
to their press-this-key-here-to-start-windows 'handbook'. (Sigh)

> UP kernels can run on SMP hardware, so I guess that it's mainly finding
> a way of switching from using the PIC to using some APICS
> dynamically, when you find that you have SMP hardware.
>
> Incidently I have several UP machines that have APICs
> and it may be effective to be able to run an APIC
> kernel on this hardware..
>
> (This all assumes that the rest of the kernel was compiled
> SMP to have all the lockeng etc.)

Anyways, hope this helps.

Best regards,

Peter.