Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 1995 17:07:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        gary@palmer.demon.co.uk (Gary Palmer)
Cc:        nathan@netrail.net, questions@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP accounting

> In message <Pine.LNX.3.91.950921174046.27361B-100000@netrail.net>, Nathan Strat
> ton writes:
> >My only problem is IP accounting I need to know many packets and kbs is
> >going out of all my interfaces. Is there any software that will do this?
>
> netstat -i will tell you packet volumes per interface. If you look at
> `man ipfw', and /sys/i386/conf/LINT for details of how to enable it,
> you can get more detailed reports.
>
> As for kilobytes/interface, I dunno if that's possible without using
> some sort of packet sniffer.
See /usr/include/net/if.h:

struct ifnet {
                u_long  ifi_oerrors;    /* output errors on interface */
                u_long  ifi_collisions; /* collisions on csma interfaces */
                u_long  ifi_ibytes;     /* total number of octets received */
                u_long  ifi_obytes;     /* total number of octets sent */
                u_long  ifi_imcasts;    /* packets received via multicast */
                u_long  ifi_omcasts;    /* packets sent via multicast */