Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 1996 11:11:12 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        rob@Simplex.NL (Rob Simons)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about loosing inetd (?)

> I have a problem which happens every few days with my news server.
> The machine runs freeBSD 2.1-RELEASE and has only 8 Mb of memory,
> yes, I know it's a triffle too little for INN  ;-)  (going to be
> replaced anyday now.)
>
> Every now and then it seems inetd doesn't so what it should do
> anymore, when telnetting to the machine the connection opens, but
> nothing else happens. This is the case with any rsh, rlogin, tin,
> telnet etc. The port opens, and then the connection freezes.
>
> This same machine ran this same configuration with FreeBSD 1.0,
> 1.1.5.1, 2.0.5 and now 2.1, and this is the first time I encounter
> this problem. Otherwise I'd probably never have mentioned it since
> the machine isn't suited to handle the load anyways.
>
> Is this a known problem with memory-tight machines ?

You either have too few pty's defined (and need to rebuild your kernel
and run MAKEDEV), *or* you are being hit by a denial-of-service.

To test the second case, restart inetd with a "-R 4000" and see if it
helps the problem (inetd suts down daemons that respawn more than this
number of times in a set time period -- see "man inted" for details).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.