Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 1996 22:35:11 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
To:        James Risner <risner@heathers.stdio.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI ncr.c assertion fail due to S_QUEUE_FULL error.

James Risner writes:

 > I have a 3.5 GIG drive:
 > ncrcontrol -u 1
 > T:L  Vendor   Device           Rev  Speed   Max Wide Tags
 > 1:0  DEC      RZ74     (C) DEC 427H  10.0  10.0   8    4
 >
 > on heavy disk seeking I get:
 > sd1(ncr1:1:0): COMMAND FAILED (4 28) @f09fb000.
 > assertion "cp" failed: file "../../pci/ncr.c", line 5563
 >
 > I looked up the COMMAND.FAILED code and found that 4 28 means:
 > COND_MET or HS_COMPLETE and QUEUE_FULL

Yes, true. Sorry, I'm too busy and didn't immediatlely
remmeber those codes, but that kind of problem has also
been noticed by an user of the SEQUEL 5200 (?) drive,
which is a DEC 5.25" designed drive with 2GB or 3GB
capacity. I'll have to scan my mail archive for details ...

 > I looked up the code about QUEUE_FULL which it does not run and it sets
 > tags to 0 to fix.

Hmmm, that code was there as a precaution in case a
device supported only a very small number of tags. But
I never had access to a device that actually triggered
this code, and it really never has been tested for that
reason.

 > I set tags to 1 with
 > ncrcontrol -u 1 -t 1 -w -stags=1

(You don't need the -w in this case. If there is only
one NCR card in the system, then you may also ommit the
-u 1 option.)

Just use 0 as the number of tags. This may slightly
reduce the overhead (I'm not sure whether there is a
test for more than ONE or more than ZERO tags. ONE
tag obviously doesn't make much sense :)

 > The problem went away.
 > Now it is:
 > ncrcontrol -u 1
 > T:L  Vendor   Device           Rev  Speed   Max Wide Tags
 > 1:0  DEC      RZ74     (C) DEC 427H  10.0  10.0   8    1
 >
 > Who's problem was present?

Since tags work with just about every current drive
(the HP 3724 and 3725 being the (un)famous exception),
I guess it is the drive's fault. I'm using my Quantum
Atlas with tags for more than a year now, and though
I rebuild the world (FreeBSD-current) nearly each night
as kind of a regression test, it never failed. It does
work with 4 tags (the default) as reliable as with 16.

 > SCSI system for not probing the drive and setting the tags lower somehow?

No, the drive announces support of tags in its INQUIRY
response. Most drives seem to support at least a few tens
of tags, I never hit the limit in my tests :)

 > ncr.c for not properly reseting after a QUEUE_FULL from a disk?

Well, as I said, this code should not actually be necessary,
and it has not been tested. The new generic SCSI code that
is currently developed by Justin Gibbs will move most of the
complexity of tag support into the controller independent
layer, and I'm sure his code will be better tested and will
do the right thing :)

For now just disable tags. I'd be interested to know, whether
it works reliably with tags if driven by some other host
adapter, but I guess you don't have the equipment to test this.
It would be especially interesting to see whether it fails if
too many commands are active simultanously, or whether it does
not like to many different tag numbers to be used over time.
(The NCR driver tries to always use the same tag numbers over
and over, except if a command fails, when it will choose a new
driver in certain situations.)

BTW: A firmware upgrade might solve your problem, too. If you
still got warranty on the drive, you may even be able to get
it for free. I'm not sure at all, whether this drive is still
supported in some way, and by whom (since DEC sold its Storage
Division to Quantum some two years ago), but getting the latest
firmware that was released might help. (It did for some other
drives, that had problems with tags!)

Regards, STefan