Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 22:51:00 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Jim King <jim.king@mail.sstar.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: determining ecc errors on freebsd-stable

> At 05:04 PM 6/28/98 -0700, Tom <tom@uniserve.com> wrote:
> >
> >On Sun, 28 Jun 1998, Michael R. Gile wrote:
> >
> >> there have been some suggestions to my previous post about signal 10 errors
> >> that it could be a memory problem.  If this is the case, i would think
> that
> >> the ecc controller would be correcting at least some of these problems.
> >> Is there a way freebsd can be set to log the ecc corrections, like a sun
> >> box does?  If not, can someone point me to the necessary docs to add this?
> >
> >  Most systems do not have ECC capable memory.  All off the shelf consumer
> >level computers certainly don't, though most can be upgraded by replaced
> >the memory.
> >
> >  There is no way to log ECC corrections are they are done
> >transparently in the hardware, and currently there is no mechanism for the
> >hardware to make available that kind of info.
>
> My very newest PC (a Gateway 400 MHz Pentium II, just unboxed Friday) has
> an option in the BIOS configuration to log ECC corrections via DMI.  I know
> almost nothing about DMI, but I would assume there's some way to get at
> this information besides the BIOS config utility.

Yes; you have to use the PnP BIOS.  Unfortunately, we won't be able to
support this in the 2.2 family (it requires 3.x features).

Typically, the system hardware will generate an SMI event during which
the SMI handler (part of the BIOS) will examine the ECC event(s) and log
them.

For Intel hardware, you should study the Intel datasheets, however it
should be noted that we cannot play on the BIOS side of the SMI fence -
we have to talk to it according to the rules, ie. you should be
focussing on using the PnP BIOS to obtain event log information, not
poking the hardware.