Date:      Thu, 17 May 2001 11:16:53 -0800
From:      Brian Raynes <brian_raynes@dnr.state.ak.us>
To:        Delmonik Contee <delmonik_contee@hotmail.com>, freebsd newbies <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Hello

Delmonik Contee wrote:

> Hello,
>     I am extremely interested in educating myself on the
> configuration and utilization of FreeBSD. I was wondering if I could
> get some information on good beginners material.

Start with the free documentation.  The freebsd.org website has links
to the Freebsd Handbook and some other good docs that are newbie
specific.  These contain some basic UNIX material that will be
applicable with FreeBSD or other UNIX operating systems.

For more generic UNIX stuff that will apply to actually using FreeBSD,
check out O'Reilly books.  Another book that's good is UNIX System
Administration by Evi Nemeth and others.  It gets lots of good
recommendations and I can say that it's been very informative to me,
as a newbie.

Special mention should go to Greg Lehey's "The Complete FreeBSD".  It
was last updated for the 3.x release branch, but is still quite
applicable.  The author is pretty active on the freebsd-questions list
and many people can provide help where the 4.x branch differs from the
3.x branch.  As a newbie, using Greg's book, I got hung up on some
simple things that were due to these differences, but was able to find
answers in the mailing list archives and the Handbook.

The handbook had some extensive updates done last year that greatly
improved it's helpfulness to me.  If you're feeling like starting
cheap before shelling out bucks for books, start with those free docs,
they're free but you get much more than you pay for!

>I have a PC with
> Windows 2000 professional and was wondering if it would be possible
> for me to set up a dual boot with FreeBSD 4.2.

I can't help you specifically there, but there are other docs that
cover sharing freebsd with other operating systems.  I'm not sure if
Win2K is covered there yet, but if not, I suspect that the NT stuff
might apply.  And I'm positive there will be similar questions in the
archives of the freebsd-questions mailing list, since the desire to
dual boot with Windows is very, very common.

Good luck.  As a newbie that has been lurking here for some time, I
can tell you that a little reading of the available docs, plus reading
Greg Lehey's regularly posted message regarding asking good questions
on freebsd-questions, will go a long ways toward getting help from
what I have found to be a very knowledgeable and helpful group (when
treated nicely).

Brian Raynes