Date:      Fri, 4 Jun 1999 13:02:03 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Campbell <bc-freebsd@vicious.dropbear.id.au>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Routers and such

On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Mike Tancsa wrote:

mike> >Rest assured that FreeBSD will handle your needs for some time to
mike> >come.
mike>
mike> I think the major place where FreeBSD falls down in terms of routing is
mike> software.  Although gateD does the job, you dont nearly have the same
mike> features as you would with a higher end Cisco.

If you want an expensive reliable black box with a few blinking lights,
buy a Cisco. If you want a Cisco-like features on an intel platform,
choose mrt or zebra, both in the ports collection I believe.  Gated ain't
the only PC-routing game in town.

(Not that I've got any but passing knowledge with either, and my cisco
 experience consists of replacing at short notice the core Bay router of
 my previous employment)

If you're serious about shifting data, get a serious router. Anything with
moving parts is not 'serious' enough.

--==--
Bruce.