Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 1998 15:08:55 -0600
From:      Glenn Johnson <gljohns@bellsouth.net>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fortran conundrum

sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu wrote:
> As I promised Mike Smith, I have been looking over the Fortran situation
> in -current.  From the last round of email, we had essentially 3
> opinions:
>
>  (1) Status quo
>
>      f77 (f2c+gcc) works for the majority of those who use Fortran.  If
>      someone wants more speed, power, or features, then they can choose
>      to install gcc_2.8.x and g77+0.5.23, egcs-1.1.1, or purchase a
>      commericial product.

I have some Fortran programs that will not compile with f2c+gcc but
compile fine with g77. The converse is also true however, but not as much.

sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu wrote:
>  (2) Upgrade to g77 -- g77 produces "better" code than f2c+gcc, and it is
>  designed to integrate smoothly with the core compiler technology when an
>  upgrad finally occurs.

I find that g77 meets my needs more than f2c+gcc, so I would like to see
g77 brought into the FreeBSD distribution when the upgrade to gcc2.8.x
occurs. I have been using egcs-1.1.1 and that meets my needs.

sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu wrote:
>  (3) Rip Fortran out of the base distribution.

This doesn't sound good to me. Wouldn't it be better to have g77
integrated in. Fortran is still important enough that it should be in the
base distribution, IMHO.
--
Glenn Johnson
gljohns@bellsouth.net