Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2000 13:33:36 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Alan Clegg <abc@firehouse.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patch to allow TSC with APM

In message <17397.956081493@critter.freebsd.dk> Poul-Henning Kamp writes:
: If it is because the bios fiddles the frequency all the time we
: should maybe understand the APM bios better.

There were issues with some APM BIOSes not resetting this on resume,
but I think that we properly store/restore the state now.

: If it is because SMI interrupts "steal" time from us, then the
: TSC is maybe better.

This is an excellent theory since the problems are on newer laptops
that use SMI a whole lot.  But 6 seconds a minute is way too large to
account for this unless the SMI interrupts are timed really really
poorly.  On a high precision system we have here that needs to run off
the i8245, we've found that interrupts at the wrong time can cause
"dropouts" of 1 click of time.  Since these dropouts happen only once
in 1000 samples and are eliminated by the outlier elimination
mechanisms that we have in the software, I've not investigated this
further.

I guess what I'm saying is that this might be possible, but I don't
know for sure if it is or not.

Warner