Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 1996 17:10:14 -0600 (CST)
From:      Sean Reifschneider <jafo@tummy.com>
To:        se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD NCR driver timeout?

>} >Well, sorry, those 1.6 seconds are already
>} >the maximum supported by the NCR hardware ...
>} > [goes on to suggest removing HTH from the interrupt map]

I'll try that right now and get the kernel recompiling.  Thanks...

>Well, most devices will not require 1.6s for a single
>bus transaction (locking out all other devices ...).

I completely agree here...  It *SHOUDN'T*, but it does.  :-)
I was hoping that I could send the scan command, it would go
off and do it's thing, I could sleep 4 seconds or so, and
THEN start reading.  But it doesn't actually start doing ANYTHING
until I start reading the data.  So there's nothing I can do.  :-(

As reference points, I don't run into any timeouts on HP machines or
with the drivers I've tried under Linux -- including the NCR and a
couple Adaptecs.

>I know about the command timeout, and I'm really not
>sure, whether the 1.6s timeout should be there too.
>But then, I'm seeng SCSI as a shared access bus, and

Personally, I'd like to see just the command timeout there...

Thanks,
Sean
--
"We just wanted to give the band a little more thrust than most other bands."
        - Donald Fagen's reply to why they chose the band name 'Steely Dan'