Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 05:51:17 -0500
From:      Ciro <geminidominoubermensch@yahoo.com>
To:        "C J Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Spamming FreeBSD lists.

At 20:48 2002/01/10 -0500, C J Michaels wrote:
>All monetary discussions aside.
>
>Forcing non-subscribed members to verify the authenticity of their email
>address before posting would reduce a good amount of spam without adding
>much overhead/annoyance.

I'm surprised my messages appear on the list, since I never seem to get
them back.
Or maybe the listserver is set up to do it that way. I am subscribed too.
But thats OT.

Here's the question, though. How long do we give Joe Random to authenticate
their email before
branding it as unclaimed and deleting it? If you make it too short, he may
be on his way
to /dev/null before the gets back to his computer to reply, and if you make
it too long... well then,
  /queuedmail better be  one big honkin' filesystem. :)

>I just ran into this wonderful invention posting to the php-general mailing
>list @ php.net.  However they do it, it must cache addresses that have been
>authenticated because my follow-up posts went right through.
>
>Adding a warning message that incurred fines for spam, would be very cool if
>it was enforcible.  Provided it was worded in such a way as to not scare off
>newbie's.

How about "If you do not comply, we will burn your villages and make slaves
of your children!"
I always thought that had a nice,fuzzy, PC type of feel to it? :)

-Ciro the Hun,
Up waaaaaaay past his bedtime.