Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:53:29 -0400
From:      Adam McDougall <mcdouga9@egr.msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ultra 10 Panic - lockup

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 08:13:26PM +0200, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

  As Chris Flecknell wrote:

  > syncing disks, buffers remaining... 3866 3866
  > RED State Exception

  Based on my (Solaris-based, not FreeBSD) knowledge of U10 issues,
  RED state exceptions are an indication of a broken CPU.

  --
  J"org Wunsch					       Unix support engineer

I have also witnessed RED State Exceptions on boot of a Ultra 60
with loose ram (as shipped).  I would suggest ensuring that all ram
modules are the same height as they sit in the slot unless they
are obviously different as viewed when off the motherboard.
Also, remove sets of components not in use if possible.
Install DIMMs in pairs.  This may be helpful:
http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/U10/U10.html

Google searches on the subject a year ago pointed mostly to
bad motherboards when I looked, although hits were vague and
could point to one of several hardware problems.