Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2012 18:57:31 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-embedded@FreeBSD.ORG, Dmitriy Fitisov <dmitriy@radier.ca>
Subject:   Re: Looking for hardware advice

Dmitriy Fitisov wrote:
 > Hello Oliver,
 > may I ask why FreeBSD?

Because it's the system I'm most familiar with.  I want this
to "just work" and not spend more time than necessary.

 > You may take a look at Soekris website.
 > They used to support FreeBSD very well, AFAIK.

Well, Soekris, ALIX etc. are just normal PC boards in ITX
form factor or just slightly smaller.  They're not much
different from boards like the Intel D425KT (Mini-ITX with
Atom processor).  But that's not what I'm looking for.

 > But if you want GPIO, would not it better to go lower level something
 > like ARM boards from Olimex or similar?

Yes, actually that's exactly what I had in mind, i.e. some
really small board with ARM or MIPS.

I've just looked at the Olimex site, thanks for the pointer.
Their "iMX233-OLinuXino-MICRO" looks very cool, it's only
3.4" x 1.7" and seems to have exactly the features that I
need:

https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/iMX233/iMX233-OLinuXino-MICRO/

But I don't think FreeBSD supports it.

Best regards
  Oliver

"In My Egoistical Opinion, most people's C programs should be indented
six feet downward and covered with dirt."
        -- Blair P. Houghton