Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2001 01:33:40 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.freebsd.org>, Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@beastie.mckusick.com>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposed auto-sizing patch to sysinstall (was Re: Using a larger block size on large filesystems)

On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 02:11:16PM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     Hmm.  Well, I have to disagree somewhat.  'A'uto isn't useful if
>     the user has to think too much about it, and there is nothing
>     preventing the user from deleting the partitions he doesn't want.
>     /var/tmp and /home are fairly standard partition names... nothing
>     new in my book.  I certainly didn't invent them!  In particular,
>     these two partitions greatly increase the safety of the system... I
>     can't count the number of times I've seen fsck *fail* on /var/tmp
>     after a crash and was thankful that /var/tmp wasn't on /var.

I hate if Software writes on /var/tmp instead of /tmp.
I don't need an fsck on /tmp because it's md/mfs based - or if you like
for performance reasons newfs the partition at boot.
/var/tmp should be used for files that should survive a reboot like
vi.recover and nothing else.
FreeBSD still ships with /usr/share/doc/smm/01.setup/paper.ascii.gz
where /tmp is said to be MFS based and /var/tmp disk based.

>     Not only that, but blowing-out /var/tmp is relatively easy to do even
>     on a single user system.  The last thing you want to see is a full

Not surprising with a softlink from /tmp to /var/tmp.

>     /var/tmp causing your mail system to throw up rocks because it's on
>     the same partition as /var.   There is absolutely no sane reason to
>     combine /var and /var/tmp together.

There is more than that - think of /var/spool/lpd or /var/log.
If you want it save then create a /var/mail and /var/spool partition.

>     The same thing goes for /home, though in /home's case the reasoning
>     is somewhat more ephermal.  You get the same safety factor in regards
>     to having a greater chance of recovering /usr after a crash if /home
>     isn't sitting in /usr (/usr/home) (or sitting in root for that matter!).

The traditional directory is /var/users but I prefer /var/home.
If you don't want a separate /home partition /var/users is the better
choice.
/home is the place for system wide home directories which are usualy
non-local - therefor no need for a local partition.
I agree that /usr/home is bad idea.

>     (remember why /var was separated from /usr in the first place?).
>     But you also have the added benefit of making /usr a managed space,
>     limited to X amount (e.g. 3GB) and placing the remainder of your free
>     space in /home.  It makes far less sense to place the remainder of
>     your free space in /usr.

Right - it's administered so if space go out the administrator can
always mount additional space under /usr.
That's the same reason I usually softlink /usr/ports to /var/ports as
it can easily blow space.
Uh Softlinks are remembered by some programms so /home softlink doesn't
work perfect.
It's the same reason I don't like software using /compat instead of
/usr/compat.
/var is my definition of whats left after creating /, /usr and what
additionally needed.

>     This setup works equally well as a default for both single and
>     multi-user systems and also works fairly well for power-user
>     and developer systems, and for most special-purpose systems
>     except large special-purpose mail spools and repositories (which
>     typically need a huge /var).  It works far better as a default
>     then simply creating /, /usr, and /var.
>
>     In that light perhaps what we need to do is have an auto-resizing
>     feature, so if the user deletes an auto-created partition sysinstall
>     automatically resizes the auto-created partitions before it to fill
>     up the space.  So if the user hits 'A' and doesn't want /var/tmp, they
>     simply delete /var/tmp and /var gets its space.  And if they don't
>     want /home they simply delete it and /usr gets its space.  I think
>     this is a much easier mechanism for the user then requiring him to
>     select which Auto-profile to use.

The auto-resizing part is realy a missing feature.

>     So despite your objections I am still leaning very heavily towards
>     wanting to include /var/tmp and /home as defaults for the Auto option.

A home default is a good idea but I don't like it in / for the reasons
above.
It's also easier for a possible autoresize to add /var/users to /var
instead of having a completely different path.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de