Date:      Sat, 17 May 1997 00:19:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        louie@TransSys.COM, freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new cd-da player

In lists.freebsd.multimedia you write:

>In particular, it's able to read audio tracks off this drive which
>cdd was unable to.  The cdd program would begin to read the data,
>and the go into this infinite retry loop (in the application, not
>the driver).

Okay, I fixed that problem, Its been there for a long time.  What it does now
is after attempting to recover for its full buffer it gives up and tries
rereading the entire track.

When a CD is dirty, or scratched, or has some other defect that causes your CD
player to be unable to read that track cleanly, you will see this behavior.
CDD is trying to recover but no luck.  In these cases you should take some
windex or other CD cleaner to the CD and see if that doesnt fix your problem
(It always has for me).

Also, in the newest version of CDD (I put it up today) I added a -nojc option,
which allows you to turn off jitter correction (which of course will eliminate
that looping problem).  From the README:

    (*) Jitter correction is a method whereby extra effort is taken to ensure
        that the data retrieved off of the CD is clean.  This is absolutely
        necessarily on older/cheaper mechs, however on the latest Plextor's
        you may get away without it.  However, should the disc have any
        defects, or surface problems you could end up with a corrupted audio
        file.  I.e. I never use this feature!  Its only there for those who are
        impatient, because it can speed up the process by 2-5x depending on
        the hardware you have.  If during normal audio grabs the overlap
        distance is ALWAYS 0 (except for the last frame) this may actually work
        for you.  If this is NOT the case, do not use this feature, IT WILL NOT
        WORK!

And folks, I am very interested in making this work for people, so if your
having trouble, please drop me a note and I'll do my best to help figure it
out.

-Crh
--

       Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@msu.edu